5 Easy Steps to a More Sustainable Life

Posted by Mikaela Molnar on

Living a sustainable lifestyle is all the rave these days, am I right? Well for us it’s not just a trend, it’s a way of life. The way of life that makes sense, by reducing single-use consumption and minimizing our carbon footprint so we can preserve our planet and it’s environment.

We will admit it can be overwhelming, so it’s important to remember that small steps MATTER. In fact, small conscious changes are the best way to make a difference. So, here are 5 small and easy steps to start living a more eco-friendly life.

 

1Get a recycling bin! This might be an obvious one, but believe it or not, not everybody recycles! Glass and Aluminum are the most recyclable meaning they can be recycled for a lifetime without losing any quality. Plastic and cardboard should be recycled too! Be sure to check with your local recycling center to make sure which plastics are accepted and which ones are not (Not all plastics are accepted, numbers on the plastic indicated what type of plastic they are.)

 

 

2Opt for a reusable water bottle. This is been my all-time favorite swap. My whole family was immediately encouraged to getting their own too and they all love it. A tremendous amount of single-use, plastic water bottles are purchased each day, and unfortunately only 9% of plastic is recycled, the other 91% mostly ends up polluting our oceans. By using a reusable water bottle, you can save on so much waste. You will also save a ton of money too, in the long run!

3. Skip the plastic bags. Soon enough, NJ residents, we won’t have much of an option with the plastic bag ban, but those reusable totes are a much better option anyhow. Think of it this way, if we can remember to wear our masks to the store, we can remember to bring those bags too!

4. Shop locally! Shopping locally for food and goods can reduce tons of carbon emissions from transportation. It’s important to invest into your community, start by farmers markets. You’ll wind up with fresh food and handmade locally sourced goods, you won’t regret it!

5. Phase out disposables. We unfortunately live in a disposable society, filled with single-use plastics leading to the enormous plastic pollution crisis. Once you run out of your single-use products, try opting for reusable or sustainable options. Reusables can save a ton of waste from ending up in our oceans. Some great sustainable swaps are safety razors, metal or silicone straws, beeswax food wraps, bamboo toothbrushes etc. These days, there is pretty much a sustainable option for everything our there, but use up what you have first!

 

 

 

Sounds pretty doable, right? I mean sustainable living has to be sustainable in all aspects so try these tips to ease you into the lifestyle and decide where you want to go from there.

 


Share this post



← Older Post Newer Post →


Leave a comment